Come join the first local 10km race in the beautiful and scenic surroundings of South Darenth and Horton Kirby.
Start the new year with a great new event and get those legs turning ready for 2024.
RunHappyRunHealthy are working alongside Great Ormond Street to create fun races across the South-East that give runners an opportunity to enjoy their running, keep fit and stay healthy whilst h helping the lives of young children in hospital care.
Route for the event :
Starting in Heathside playing fields (DA4 9AZ) the race will turn right underneath the stunning viaduct of the village into South Darenth and head along the beautiful river Darenth for a short section after the yellow bar bridge and then head right through the lower paddock (the only off-road section of the run 50metres). After heading through the lower paddock runners will head along the paddock close back past the Jolly Millers Pub (1km) through the viaduct and then right up station road (towards Farningham Road Station). Near the top of this road, runners will veer left along a country path and then soon turn left (2km) diagonally down towards Westminster Fields. Through these fields (on a concrete path) then out and right around Horton Kirby village past the Fighting Cocks Pub (3km) and up Rays Hill into Mussenden Lane (4km). Towards the end of the lane, runners will turn left (5km) cut through to School Lane (6-7km), and head into Horton Kirby. Runners will pass at the back of Horton Kirby Primary School (8km) and then over the ‘humps and bumps’ of Skinney Lane before dropping down the steep New Road (9km) and then left towards the finishing straight back to the Heathside.
On the day:
- Race numbers are to be collected inside the registration room of the Village Hall DA4 9AZ, PLEASE NOTE THIS is 100m further along from the Heathside Park entrance.
- You will be emailed your race number and can either provide this or your name at the registration desk
- Safety pins for number attachment are available on the day
- The village hall has toilets and a large area for changing and leaving bags etc.
- The race will start at 8:30am
- There are marshals at all major junctions
- PLEASE BE AWARE THE ROADS ARE NOT CLOSED AND AS SUCH PLEASE KEEP TO THE LEFT-HAND SIDE AT ALL TIMES. THERE WILL BE OUTRIDERS (CYCLISTS SUPPORTING RUNNERS) ALONG THE ROUTE AND THERE ARE PLENTY OF SIGNS TO INFORM ANY ROAD USERS OF THE RACE. IT IS UNLIKELY THE COUNTRY BACK ROADS WILL HAVE ANY MAJOR TRAFFIC FLOW AND SIMILARLY BEING EARLY THE TRAFFIC FLOW IS EXPECTED TO BE MINIMAL AROUND THE TOWN ROADS.
- There will be refreshments available from inside the village hall
- All finishers are to receive a bespoke vibrant medal, a snack, and water.
- Prizes for male and female 1st, 2nd and 3rd runners
- Photos and videos will be taken around the course. If you do not wish to appear on any social media pages (Facebook, Instagram) or our website please tick the disclaimer.
- Official times will be posted by the end of 11th February on our website.